Random Lunacy

Ranting from a San Jose artist/amature cosplayer at its finest. Multiple personalities frequent to kibitz author. Random Lunacy: Is it sleeping...or is it dead? >>

Sunday, May 18, 2008

3 Things in my Room

So DJ D did this cool post on his blog about 3 groovy things in his room. Suffice it to say its spawned countless others to do the same. While I feel that 3 things wasn't quite enough, I was able to narrow it down. I picked things that say other things about me, things that most people forget I'm into.

First thing: I love miniatures
Photobucket
What you see here is a "room" I've created for my 29cm ball joint doll May (whom you may remember from about 2 years ago). Its onea those modular Target brand shelve thingys, a 9 cube one. I dedicated one whole cube to May, and furnished it as best as I could w/ the limited space. As you can see, its not too large, but she can stand ok in it. The desk in the back was a gift from a friend who knew I loved miniatures.

Ever since I was young, I loved tiny things. I dunno why. I started collecting mini household items when i was young, and stopped after awhile due to other things (games, cosplay, etc), but I always wanted a doll house to display the tiny things I collected or made. One of my step uncles had a house, but got rid of it due to space, but they always kept the items that went into it, from tiny ottomans to mini table sets. I've always been fascinated by the level of detail put into it.

About 3 years ago, I started buying miniatures from Kinokunya; they had different mini brands of stuff from school lunch sets to household items like dishracks. I still collect them, and I got my little sisters into it too (only they actually have a house to display the stuff cuz their dad made one XD). When I got my first 29cm bjd, I was thrilled to be able to have something to display the stuff with.

One of my favorite things in he room is her bug terrarium in her shelf (in the top left)--cuz it has mini beetles in it--, the modular table in the front (it can stack to make shelves), numerous Japanese fair items (not all shown, but the mask is on the chair and I have a few fans, a bag of takoyaki, a crepe, a water balloon, and a purse), and her mini DS (its an old school pink one, exactly like mine ^^) that I found on a keychain. The stuff I have in there now is a fraction of the many items I own (I swap out stuff in seasons). Minis are fun. ^^

Second thing: the limited edition NiGHTS into dreams storybook
Photobucket
Its worth mentioning again that I love NiGHTS; its one of my favorite franchises, ahead of Fatal Frame, Silent Hill Smash Bros. and Legacy of Kain. Though its taken well over 11 years to get a sequel to a game I've loved since my childhood, I still feel that I'm a pretty big fan of it.

Recently my friend Liltichan (who runs Animeish.com, buy her stuff :3) was getting me various NiGHTS goods like a poster, a mousepad, the T-shirt, and the soundtrack, to name a few. But my most prized possession next to the plushie (which i got for a fraction of its usual price of 3 hundred kajillion dollars) is the storybook here.

I don't know the numbers, but I do know it was a limited run. It follows the story of NiGHTS, his rebellion against Wizeman prior to the game, and Elliot's story (though only the parts in the dreams, not his backstory), ending w/ a brief glimpse of Claris. The illustrations are beautiful, w/ these expressive and flow-y lines and a dreamy watercolor quality. I heart this book to freakin' death, and when I get my friend to translate it for me, I will read this to my children before bed. I paid about $100 for it, which I see as a blessing as you don't find it very often anywhere (except I heard recently they're re-printing it for the NiGHTS into dreams remake on the PS2 -_-).

The book is special to me because even though I didn't know of its existence until about 2 years ago, it still brings me back to my early years, when the Mascot War was raging and middle school seemed to go on forever. When I go through it, I feel a child-like sense of awe, a feeling I haven't had in a long time. Books like these are labors of love, especially for a game series that has been lost in the turbulance of newer consoles. And even if its not the best children's book, it still means a lot to me.

If my house was burning, this is one of the things I'd take w/ me. Even if it were the only thing I could take, I'd be happy.

Third thing: My great-grandmother's music box
Photobucket
I was a little monkey when I was young. My grandmother had all these trinkets and gewgaws (yes, that's a real word, look it up) that she had to put on her highest shelves to keep me from them. Of course it didn't work cuz I love to climb things. XD One of these treasures I'd risk breaking my neck over was this little Sweedish handcarved music box that played "These are a Few of My Favorite Things". It was shaped like a lil house, complete w/ flowers in the windowsills and a shingled roof. The best part of this box was that it had a lil filament that would tug the music box's trigger and play the song. But it was engineered in such a way that it would trigger it only once, and you could close the box and listen to the song play once, then shut off with this click. If you left the roof lid open, it wouldn't keep playing, unlike other music boxes, which play while its open, then shuts off when you shut it.

I loved that music box more than anything in the world. Its a lovely piece of work, and its one of those things that instantly takes me back to my younger days when I would spend time at my grandparents' house (they live in Vallejo, which is only an hour or so away, but w/ the way gas is....). My grandparents, in an effort to reduce inheritance drama in the inevitable time of death, told the grandchildren (and my dad and his sisters) to put their names on a piece of paper and put it on, or around the object they wish to take later. I fought my aunt over the music box, and I've won cuz I made sure to hide the music box in my granny's room XD. My granny said I would get it because of all the years of me nearly breaking my neck trying to play with it. Woot.

The one here in my room is another one bought at the same time as my grandmother's. It was a gift to my great-grandmother a long time ago. They have similar designs, only this one has a different paint job, and it plays a different tune (i haven't a clue as to what it is at this time). I don't know who bought the boxes or when, but I do know they have to be the same age. When my great-uncle passed away, my great-grandmother descended into Alzheimer's and fell hard. My grandfather moved her out here to California from their hometown of Davenport, Iowa. She lives in a home, and doesn't remember us very well. Its heart breaking because I remember her so full of life. Its amazing what can happen to a person in only a few short years.

When they moved my great-grandmother here, they had to sell the house and collect her things, from furniture to personal effects like clothing and other things. Knowing how much I loved hers, my grandmother gave me my great-grandmother's music box as a girt for my birthday. I keep a few things in there, not much because the compartment is tiny. Its very special to me. It doesn't play exactly he same as the other one (it takes longer for the music box clasp to click, so that it sounds like an aging egg timer when the song finishes playing), but that's just fine. I like it all the same.

Well, those are 3 things that I deem worthy of showing. Next post may or may not cover what was cut. XD

*til next time, Lunies*

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah man, you got a Hssxxlllo.

I played NiGHTS and the Christmas NiGHTS give away one time a piece. The graphics of the game gave me an extreme headache and when I told the person who was showing the game off to me, they told me about this warning on the game that it could do that and that if I got headaches from 3D games I couldn't play them.

So, this game is responsible for giving me a temporary fear that my gaming days were over when everything went 3D because of some eye defect.

I later figured out that large polygons at low resolutions do that to a lot of people when they're not used to them. My personal Saturn was destroyed in an "incident"... I'm not the type of person who throws controllers but when a memory card corrupts for a game I had spent 3 hard solid years on, I throw systems out windows.

 
At 2:54 AM , Blogger Dio said...

^^;;;; My heart goes out to the poor thing.

My teacher once said that effort makes skill and if you can do something once, you can do it twice. Which is a scary prospect when you spend 5 hours on a charcoal rendering then are told to wipe it back and start again. My major is Drawing Boot Camp.

The polygon thing has stricken a good friend of mine, as he is of the Playstation Era. -_- I suppose you can always get the remake...if they ever release it here (and that's as likely as another Zelda on the Wii before the next generation). Makes me sad, the game is a (forgive the pun) dream.

As for the controller, I stand by my reasoning that its the most perfect controller ever made. XD

 
At 8:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice placement of a certain bunny ;)
You know I've never played NiGHTS. I remember when it came out and a friend of mine owning a copy and saying what an awesome game it was but I never got around to giving it a shot. :(

Very cool music box, and how cool is it you have an official family heirloom to pass on when you have your own little ones.

Hope your doing well, haven't seen you around the blogosphere lately.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home